Monday, November 19, 2018
Forums - Must be logged in to post
Minimize
Subject: cool new tm.net feature starts NOW!
Prev Next
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Author Messages
Phillip Reid

11/06/2007 12:12 PM  

Here it is, folks--our latest effort to bring you quality content here at tiftmerritt.net--and we're excited.  Please give us feedback.  This new feature was the idea of Matthew "Shug" Wester, who has made its inauguration possible, and at whose request we've selected the kick-off track, a cover of Van Morrison's "Comfort You" from Schuba's in Chicago on 5/11/05 with the Tambourine band.  If y'all like "96-PROOF," please give some appreciation to Shug for the concept and initiative.  We plan to put up a track every Tuesday.

You'll find the track here on our Downloads page--they're in alpha order so just go down to "Comfort You bootleg."  Enjoy!

Mitch Kokai

11/08/2007 10:39 AM  
Awesome addition to the site.

This particular track prompts the following query for frequent attendees of TM gigs: Does she play many covers? I don't know that I heard any covers during the few shows I've seen.
Shug

11/08/2007 2:52 PM  

Thanks to Phillip and Chris (and Tift and the band, of course!) for 96 Proof Bootleg!  That's such a great title and image for it.  You took a simple idea and made it really cool, as usual. Its all about sharing good music.

I also wanted to thank the person who was the source for this recording as well.  I'm embarrassed to admit I can't remember from whom I received this recording.  It was probably someone who visits this site, so please stand up and be thanked!

Of the Tift shows I've seen and heard, there haven't been too many covers, Mitch.  There were more on the Bramble Rose tour than the Tambourine tour. On Bramble Rose tour, she was doing a Delaney and Bonnie song  "Ghetto" and a Leon Russell/Emmylou Harris song  "Two More Bottles of Wine" and maybe one or two others I don't remember right now.

I love hearing my favorite bands do covers live, especially when it elucidates their influences.  Sometimes it seems they really get a lot of pleasure from playing a great song that they love and also getting to pay a little tribute to their influences.  This Van Morrison track is pretty obscure, its on the Veedon Fleece record (1974), which isn't one of his most well known records, so its also a way of potentially turning on fans to new music.  Tift sounds so soulful and I love especially Danny's Hammond organ and the way Brad's solo just wallops in.

I'm hoping that Tift will choose one or two covers to play on her next tour.

Mack Daddy #7
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"
-Chris Robinson
imtheguz

11/08/2007 5:47 PM  
Very excited about this! What a great idea while we wait for Tift to come to our neighborhood!
Phillip Reid

11/08/2007 5:55 PM  

"imthequz"--welcome. Few things are better than new post-ers at tm.net. Please stick around. Phillip

Shug: Eloquent and apropos of course. To be expected from you.
TiftheadUK

11/10/2007 7:49 AM  
This new feature makes me a very happy woman.  Thanks guys!  I always knew Tift was a jam band at heart ...
Phillip Reid

11/10/2007 4:57 PM  
Some of us just luuuuuv us some Vicky--Bob knows why--
ghman

11/12/2007 3:05 PM  
Just downloaded the song, whacked up the volume, and whoa! I just melted at how gorgeous that sounds to my ears - thanks Shug!

Is it Tuesday again yet?

M-D #18
Phillip Reid

11/12/2007 3:21 PM  
It's almost Tuesday again, Andy--and five hours closer to it there than here. And we're ready.
slak12

11/12/2007 5:34 PM  
Awesome news. I had quite a few bootlegs on my laptop, however it is now dead. I didn't have Comfort You. Thanks to all involved. its really Tifterific.

TMSTFC Mack-Daddy member #3.
I got 350 heads on a 305 engine, I get 10 miles to the gallon, I ain't got no good intentions.
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Forums > The Tift Merritt Forum > Write Your Ticket > cool new tm.net feature starts NOW!

ActiveForums 3.7
Print  
Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use
Copyright © Red Sky Software 2006-2008