Saturday, May 26, 2018
Forums - Must be logged in to post
Minimize
Subject: Tift at home (Raleigh/Chapel Hill)
Prev Next
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Author Messages
Mitch Kokai

08/22/2014 12:23 PM  

Tift's Instagram account tells us that her mom helped her take the ALS ice bucket challenge.

We hope she has dried off by the time she's set to perform in a Big Star tribute concert tonight at Carrboro's Cat's Cradle.

Mitch Kokai

08/22/2014 11:01 PM  

Tift recovered well from her self-induced icewater shower. She performed the following Big Star tunes tonight:

• "Thirteen"
  • "Dream Lover"
  • "I'm In Love With A Girl" (duet with Gary Louris of the Jayhawks, who opened for Tift on the same stage almost exactly 10 years ago)

Plus she smacked a mean tambourine on "Thank You Friends."

Mitch Kokai

08/23/2014 5:03 AM  

You'll likely enjoy Tift's story about meeting Big Star drummer Jody Stephens.

Mitch Kokai

08/24/2014 4:13 AM  

Tift and Eric Heywood performed an excellent set for the Chapel Hill crowd while opening up for Merle Haggard.

• Spring
  • Feel Of The World
  • Bramble Rose (with Jay Brown's harmony vocal)
  • Small Talk Relations
  • Another Country
  • Traveling Alone
  • Train Song
  • Still Not Home
  • Good Hearted Man
Mitch Kokai

08/24/2014 1:33 PM  

I'm so glad that someone else was able to capture Tift's other two Friday night performances on video. I don't think she's ever performed these tunes live before.

Thanks to Dan Wuori, you can enjoy "Dream Lover" ...

... and "I'm In Love With A Girl."

henryhearty

10/26/2014 4:03 PM  
Thanks!

Henrik
(Copenhagen)
Mitch Kokai

11/11/2014 9:06 PM  

Tift returned Tuesday night to the Carolina Theatre in Durham as opening act for Mary Chapin Carpenter and featured guest during MCC's encore.

Tift's solo set:

• Small Talk Relations
  • Spring
  • Traveling Alione
  • Train Song
  • Another Country
  • Good Hearted Man
  • Still Not Home
  • Feeling Of Beauty

The MCC encore, featuring Tift:

• He Thinks He'll Keep Her
  • I Feel Lucky
  • Only In Songs (Yes, Mary Chapin Carpenter ended her show covering a Tift song.)
Mitch Kokai

06/04/2015 1:16 PM  

Tift performs in a fundraiser this evening for the Be Loud! Sophie Foundation.

She discussed the event during a lunchtime appearance on WUNC Public Radio's "The State of Things."

Mitch Kokai

02/04/2016 3:38 PM  

Tift earns kudos from The Independent Weekly for her efforts to help save The Pinhook in Durham.

Merritt, who has returned to Raleigh after stints in New York and France, joined for two songs mid-set. Her take on Lucinda Williams’ “Fruits of My Labor” was stunning, worth the price of admission alone. She started slowly and hesitantly but reached a fiery, soul-stirring climax during Williams’ gripping last verse. Along with the close of Loamlands’ set, it was the night’s unifying wow moment, with everyone in the chattering room standing suddenly at attention. I’m pretty sure I even sang along at one point, mentally apologizing for getting in the way of Merritt’s magnificence. Last night served as a needed reminder of just how good she can be, reinforced by her swagger during Buffalo Springfield's "Bluebird."

Mitch Kokai

02/04/2016 3:55 PM  

You say you'd like to hear Tift perform two songs that are new to her repertoire? OK.

"Fruits of My Labor":

"Bluebird":

Mitch Kokai

02/22/2016 11:34 AM  

The Durham Herald-Sun labels Tift's show this week a "best bet."

blureu

02/24/2016 8:27 AM  

A revealing interview with Tift on Bramble Rose and life.

www.indyweek.com/indyweek/good-to-be-home-tift-merritt-talks-moving-back-to-raleigh-reissuing-bramble-rose-and-breaking-up

Mitch Kokai

11/04/2016 9:39 AM  

Tift is playing a pair of shows at the Playmakers Theater in Chapel Hill January 20 and 21.

Tickets go on sale Nov. 11.

Mitch Kokai

01/19/2017 11:25 AM  

Waiting list? I'm glad I bought tickets the day they went on sale.

Residing somewhere between Emmylou Harris and Bonnie Raitt in the earth-mother universe of countrified space-blues is Tift Merritt, who makes records that effortlessly balance earth and sky. And after her decade-long sojourn in New York, it’s great to have Merritt back down here in the Triangle again in time for the release of her excellent new album “Stitch of the World” (Yep Roc Records), which is as deeply personal a record as she’s ever made. Merritt will give the new album its sendoff this weekend with shows Friday and Saturday nights at UNC-Chapel Hill’s Historic Playmakers Theatre.

Both shows are sold out, but there is a waiting list.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/entertainment/music-news-reviews/on-the-beat-blog/article127183679.html#storylink=cpy
blureu

01/23/2017 11:27 AM  
How were the shows? Was it just Tift and Eric?
Mitch Kokai

01/23/2017 11:40 AM  

Both shows were excellent! Tift and Eric (with enough instruments for 5-6 people) played the entire new album and then selected favorites from the first five albums.

They were joined for about half the songs by Alexandra Sauser-Monnig, who sang harmony vocals.

Tift played Little Red and her Hummingbird, along with a Telecaster and keyboard. Eric played pedal steel, two different acoustic guitars, and an electric guitar.

Mitch Kokai

01/27/2017 9:26 AM  

Tift shares some insights with WUNC Radio.

She describes her craft as, "the humble work of marking life by writing."  There's a real discipline to this work.

"I think I've had far more moments where, you know, light came in by sitting at my desk and reporting for duty," she said. "I can count on less than one hand the times where it just showed up."

The song "My Boat" is a declaration of inclusiveness with the lyrics, "No one will be denied on my boat." The lyrics come from the Raymond Carver poem of the same name. The song was inspired by news reports of Syrian refugees desperate to make sea crossings to Europe to escape civil war in their home country.

"This is just begging to be sung," she said. "The sentiment is just beautiful."

Merritt moved home to North Carolina from New York City after the birth of her daughter. She says it's bittersweet, because she misses the way New Yorkers embrace their individuality.

Mitch Kokai

12/20/2017 3:27 PM  

Tift heads back to Memorial Hall in Chapel Hill on April 20.

Mitch Kokai

04/18/2018 6:54 PM  

Tift talks to Triangle Today.

TT: What is it like for you, taking the year off from touring?

Merritt: It’s a change for me, but so far I really like it. I think there’s a different feeling about getting on stage when you are older and wiser, and less self-important. I like my projects that are out of the spotlight as much as I like the ones that are. It’s really nice to get reacquainted with those parts of yourself that have nothing to do with being in front of people.

TT: Your songwriting has always been intelligent, personal and reflective. How has your work changed over the years?

Merritt: What I would hope to say is that you want your work to deepen over time, and further in and lighter. In personal terms, I think I’m braver than I was when I began. But that is the nature of becoming. I actually think that maybe the next chapter of my work as a writer will be particularly interesting because of what I’ve gained from being a mother. That seems a really interesting chapter to me. I always feel I’m at the beginning. I’m very excited to be writing as a mom because I think it opens a different road into stories. And that feels freeing to me.

hub

04/21/2018 3:53 AM  
I am happy for Tift if she is doing what benefits her and Jean. I wish I could have seen the UNC concert - I saw her at the same venue many years ago - , but I guess I am out of the loop. I did not hear about it until my wife showed me the N&O article this morning.

Mack Daddy #9
All this thinking is giving me a headache
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Forums > The Tift Merritt Forum > Write Your Ticket > Tift at home (Raleigh/Chapel Hill)

ActiveForums 3.7
Print  
Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use
Copyright © Red Sky Software 2006-2008